Date: June 27, 2012
As communities prepare to honor Independence Day, please keep in mind safe practices when using fireworks during your celebration. Only Safe and Sane fireworks, purchased at predetermined, Fire Department inspected booths placed throughout the City of Pacificaare allowed to be used during the Fourth of July celebration. The City of Brisbane and City of Daly City do not allow or permit the use of fireworks. If a citizen is aware of illegal fireworks being sold or used within their neighborhood or use any kind of fireworks in the City of Brisbane or Daly City, they are encouraged to contact either the Fire Department or Police Department with the information. Know that fines and penalties for the distribution and/or use of illegal fireworks have increased and will be strictly enforced.
As in previous years the North County Fire Authority will be augmenting staffing next Wednesday, in preparation of potential emergencies during the Fourth of July celebrations, but we need the public’s assistance in avoiding the use of illegal fireworks, which can cause fires, injury or even death and may exceed or overwhelm emergency response resources.
Fourth of July celebrations traditionally present a large fire danger to citizens. They are the cause of a great number of fires and burn injuries due to the misuse and mishandling of fireworks. Nationally more than $36 million in property is damaged each year due to fireworks. Annually, hospitals across the nation report thousands of cases of burn injuries caused by fireworks. Those numbers only reflect the injuries reported to hospital emergency rooms. Because many injuries go untreated in hospitals, experts believe the total number of firework related injuries may be far more. Most firework burn injuries involve children and are usually burns to the hands and eyes causing vision impairment and disfiguring scars. The Fire Department encourages everyone to follow all directions on Safe and Sane fireworks, and to take all proper safety precautions.
General Safety Information: (Fireworks Not Legal or Allowed in Brisbane or Daly City!)
- Use only legal fireworks approved by the California State Fire Marshal.
- Inspect all fireworks. Never use damaged or leaking fireworks.
- Never give fireworks to a small child.
- Store fireworks in a cool, dry place.
- Light only one item at a time.
- Keep spectators at least 10 feet away.
- Drop any “dud” fireworks into a pail of water.
Fireworks Safety: (Fireworks Not Legal or Allowed in Brisbane or Daly City!)
- Use fireworks in a clear area at least 20 feet away from a house, wood fence or brush.
- Light fireworks in a large safe area of dirt, pavement or gravel at least 10 feet square in size
- Have a pail of water ready to place used or malfunctioning fireworks in.
- Do not point fireworks at anyone.
- If someone is injured or a fire is started, call 9-1-1 immediately.