On October 19, 2021, at 10:35 A.M., 2 Fire Companies, 3 Transport Ambulances and 1 Chief Officer responded to a medical emergency near San Diego Avenue and De Long Street in the City of Daly City.
The first arriving fire company utilizing a Carbon Monoxide (CO) detector alerted firefighter paramedics, that there were elevated levels of CO in the atmosphere. Firefighter paramedics located five patients all displaying and experiencing various signs of Carbon Monoxide poising. The medical incident was elevated to a Multiple Casualties Incident (MCI) and firefighter paramedics provided emergency medical and advanced life support treatment to the patients. After fire paramedics stabilized the patients all five were transported to a local hospital for additional care and treatment.
Breathing in Carbon Monoxide (CO) at high levels can be fatal. CO poisoning can occur when a fuel-burning appliance or machine, such as a furnace, heater, or generator, is not working or vented properly. To protect your family from the dangers of CO take the following precautions:
• Install and maintain CO alarms inside your home to provide early warning of CO.
• Install CO alarms in a central location outside each separate sleeping area and on every level of your home.
• Use portable generators outdoors in well-ventilated areas away from all doors, windows, and vents.
• Make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove, and fireplace are clear of debris.
• Have fuel-burning heating equipment and chimneys inspected by a professional every year before cold weather sets in.
As we enter the Winter months and begin to use furnace for the first time of the season, we must refamiliarize ourselves with dangers of Carbon Monoxide (CO). Because Carbon Monoxide (CO) is odorless, colorless, and otherwise undetectable to the human senses, people may not know that they are being exposed.
The North County Fire Authority (NCFA) wants to remind everyone of the importance of installing and testing carbon monoxide (CO) alarms at least once a month. For more information on Carbon Monoxide Safety please visit northcountyfire.org.