On March 29, 2017 at 8:55 p.m., 6 Fire Companies and 2 Chief Officers responded to a structure fire at 161 Gateway Drive in the City of Pacifica.
The first arriving fire company found a 2-story, single family home with smoke coming from the front door. Firefighters made entry into the home and found flames coming from the kitchen with smoke throughout the rest of the home. Fire companies used hose lines to contain the fire to the kitchen and prevent it from making entry into the attic above.
Fire companies remained on scene for over an hour and a half checking for fire extension and completing salvage and overhaul operations. 5 residents were displaced by the fire and received housing assistance through the Red Cross.
There were no injuries to any of the firefighters or residents, and the fire cause was investigated and determined to have come from the kitchen due to unattended cooking.
The North County Fire Authority wants to remind everyone of the importance of installing and maintaining smoke detectors in their homes.