As communities prepare to honor Independence Day, please keep in mind safe practices when using fireworks during your celebration. Only Safe and Sane fireworks, purchased at predetermined, Fire Department inspected booths placed throughout the City of Pacifica are allowed to be used during the Fourth of July celebration. The City of Brisbane and City of Daly City do not allow or permit the use of fireworks. If the public is aware of illegal fireworks being sold or used within their neighborhood or use any kind of fireworks in the City of Brisbane or Daly City, they are encouraged to contact either the Fire Department or Police Department with the information.
As in previous years the North County Fire Authority will be augmenting staffing on the July 4th holiday in preparation of potential emergencies during the celebrations, but we need the public’s assistance in avoiding the use of illegal fireworks, which can cause fires, injury or even death and may exceed or overwhelm emergency response resources. Know that fines and penalties for the distribution and/or use of illegal fireworks have increased and will be strictly enforced.
Fourth of July celebrations traditionally present a large fire danger to citizens. They are the cause of a great number of fires and burn injuries due to the misuse and mishandling of fireworks. Nationally more than $36 million in property is damaged each year due to fireworks. Annually, hospitals across the nation report thousands of cases of burn injuries caused by fireworks. Most firework burn injuries involve children and are usually burns to the hands and eyes causing vision impairment and disfiguring scars.
The North County Fire Authority encourages everyone to follow all directions on Safe and Sane fireworks, and to take all proper safety precautions:
General Safety Information: (Fireworks Not Legal or Allowed in Brisbane or Daly City!)
- Use only legal fireworks approved by the California State Fire Marshal.
- Inspect all fireworks. Never use damaged or leaking fireworks.
- Never give fireworks to a small child.
- Store fireworks in a cool, dry place.
- Light only one item at a time. Drop any “dud” fireworks into a pail of water.
- Keep spectators at least 10 feet away.
Fireworks Safety:(Fireworks Not Legal or Allowed in Brisbane or Daly City!)
- Use fireworks in a clear area at least 20 feet away from a house, wood fence or brush.
- Light fireworks in a large safe area of dirt, pavement or gravel at least 10 feet square in size.
- Have a pail of water ready to place used or malfunctioning fireworks in.
- Do not point fireworks at anyone.
- If someone is injured or a fire is started, call 9-1-1 immediately.